Sign in to follow this  
gpjma

Raspberry Pi 3 B+

Hello All. Just want to talk about the new Raspberry Pi3B+. It has quite a few additions and changes. Not the least of wich is the new set of processor chips. These do run pretty hot and have got the metal jacket but I am fitting heat sinks to mine anyway. I have noticed that after an hour or so (not working hard) i can feel the warmth in ther GPIO pins as they are pretty close to the processor.

I noted also that there is an additional group of pins alongside the GPIO's (have not had time or the need to investigate these yet) that interfere with the fitting of some hats or shields. I have had to add another GPIO header on top of the original to fit an extension board.

The board will only boot with the latest NOOBS issued this month and the SD card should be well formatted and clean. I did have some trouble getting mine to boot. But It does lok like great addition to the family.

This is not by any means a review just some early observation as I started to use the board. Its good but different!

• Like 1

Hey Gpjma,

It is very interesting to hear your feedback on the Raspberry Pi 3B+. We sadly still haven't got our hands on them at this stage.
Yeah, we were still thinking that it will likely need a heatsink to actually dissipate the heat better, I can't see the metal lid helping that much with the cooling of the device considering it gets quite hot as it is.

We never actually thought about that potential issue with the device and I'm guessing the Raspberry Pi foundation didn't either. The random addition of those pins does seem like a bit of an oversight, not properly taking into consideration existing HATS. Especially since I can't see most people actually making use of those additional pins, but PoE may be more utilized then I give it credit for.

Yeah, I thought as much since I think they had to make various changes to the firmware to support the new device so anything older just won't boot.

We look forward to getting some Raspberry Pi 3B+'s on hand and be able to make our own observations.

Hi Emmet.

I am thinking that I may remove those pins (carefully) and replace with 90 degree bent pins. If I need those connections in the future I can access them under any hat I might be using.

I just cant help fiddling.

I added a case with a fan... Cost was about 9 dollars US. The kit came with heat syncs and a HDMI cable. No more heat problems. Case is stackable. Check ebay and amazon...